Thursday, September 17, 2009

Priesthood:The journey of the chosen few

" For many are called but few were chosen" Matthew 24:14



This is the verse commonly qouted to illustrate the calling to the priestly vocation.

It is a vocation meaning it is a calling. It is a way of life and not a profession. It is also a state of life as differentiated from married life.

Not all can qualify to this vocation. As I start this writing, my intention is to share my experiences in the four walls of my Alma mater, Mary Help of Christians High School(Minor) Seminary. As the verse from Matthew says we started more than 100 and ended up graduating 23 from that institution. To my recollection 3 of my former classmates are now ordained priest and two are waiting for their ordination.


The journey to this calling is long. To serve God in this state is sacrifice.

If one continuously go from one step to another it would take about 9-10 years until one is ordained priest. In my case I started early but God has another calling for me. I started in my high school years. Part of the formation is passing four years of Philosophy. A priest must be equipped to face the different questions that one may have as regards faith. After Philosophy another four years of Theology. Part of the Philosophy studies is Theology but as a priest one must further his studies about God.

After all the studies a candidate tot he priesthood is given a year or two to really think about it. He will be made deacon take part of some priestly responsibilities as a way of his exposure to the priestly life. Further than that he will be given a chance to see other sides of life, its up to him how will he use his given time to really think about entering priesthood.

The bishop makes the final decision about a candidate's status. The members of the clergy of the Diocese will review and discuss a candidates fate if he can be ordained as priest. After this period which is commonly called regency and approval of the bishop a priest is ordained.


After this the priestly life starts. The challenges kicks in and staying as a priest will be a continuing battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment