Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Entering the seminary








I was too young back then. I really never said I want to be in the seminary. Usually our dad enrolls us to the Catholic High School in town just like all my older siblings. It was because of the influence of our SVD parish priest, Rev. Father August Herbers +, that I ended up staying in the seminary.





I really never made decisions for my own during those days. I just go what my parents say because I believe they have the best intentions for me. I secured all my documents to enter the seminary. Then I took the entrance test and had the chance to go around the seminary. It was quiet...it was summer thus the institution was silent. Seminarians were in their homes and parishes. But there I am, just going with the flow.




It was awkward; I am not good in communicating in English back then. I am just a young boy who recently graduated elementary. I went to three interviews one of which is an American SVD, Rev. John Donald Healy. The purpose of these interviews was to check the psychological status of every applicant.



After all that I was accepted. We were handed a list of things needed. In a way I was just like the typical English kids sent to a boarding school...but a different boarding school. They say the word "seminary" is derived from seminarium, translated as seed-bed. Thus the seminary is more than just a boarding house. It is a formation institution for future priest.

No comments:

Post a Comment